Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Paidha

Wow..where do I even begin..

It is now the holiday so the school will be closed for one month and all of the children get to go home!! Four of which Joel and I accompanied back home to Paidha.

Thursday. 

So Thursday morning at 5:30, oh I'm sorry that's Luganda time..and yes that is a real thing. It was 11:30am and I met Joel and four children at the Kobil gas station to wait for the bus to come. We are standing out there waiting, it starts to rain, and the fun beginsssssss!

We missed our bus, or it missed us..so we thought. We get in Joel's car to start "chasing" it as he and Ivan, a teacher, are calling the driver of the bus trying to find out where it was. We are driving and its pouring rain. We had been told wrong I think and we really hadn't missed our bus. So the right bus finally comes to where we are and we get on. 

I'm so ready for this eight hour bus ride. I seriously loved it. Everything was so beautiful. The vast green land, rolling hills, and tall trees everywhere. It was awesome. I can't even describe it. I finally saw baboons, monkeys, and the wonderful Nile River! 

It was getting late, it had been raining a lot, and we were driving on a muddy road. Then up a hill we tried to go...yeah, that didn't work out. Our bus started sliding sideways and we couldn't make it any further. Long story short and for the sake of my worrying people back home I will leave out a certain detail. After a while we got off the bus and finally found three boda men to take us the rest of the way to Paidha. It was dark, cold, and pouring rain. Naturally, I somehow enjoyed the scary and slippery ride to Paidha.

Opio and Peace.
We finally came to a Guest House and there were only two rooms available. In my American way of thinking and never being in a Hotel here I thought "okay perfect, boys in one room girls in the other." Well, not so much. These rooms were very small with one one very small bed. So Joel ended up taking three of the children to Opio's home where they all stayed. While Peace and I shared one room and Joel stayed in the other. It was nice. Poor Peace was so cold! After I got hot water for her to bathe with I wrapped her up in a blanket as we waited for the Manager to bring us food.


I was happy to be able to care for and spend time alone with dear Peace, she is precious, and so very smart. We laughed and had a good time.









Friday.

I got up that morning and got hot water for Peace again to bathe while I went for a walk around Paidha. I came back to Alex and three of his deaf friends who live in Paidha! He came to return my jacket that I gave to Opio the night before. We had breakfast with all these deaf boys, checked out of our Guest House, and took Peace home. Her father gave me a gift for drinking alcohol out of! I have yet to use it..
























It's hard to explain Paidha and the way people live. For me it's crazy and completely different. It was "cool" for me to see these huts but then I have to understand that this is the way people live here. It's a very hard life, their homes are dark (which is worse if you are deaf) and with only a grass roof protecting you from the harsh rain. It is very hot during the day but at night in Piadha it actually gets really cold. All of the children are wearing ripped, old, dirty clothes, most of which don't even fit them. You can tell some people are in very poor condition. The beautiful thing for me was to see all of these children and people with a Rosary around their neck.






















My mother always says that a picture is worth a thousand words so I don't have to try to explain.

We found another Guest House to stay in and then we went to the Chapel of Our Lady of Assumption! It was so beautiful and big. Jesus and I had a good talk. I just love Him so much! After that we walked around Paidha and went to the market. Which was crazy.

I FOUND PEANUT BUTTER. I watched them make it, they added nothing to it, and then I bought some.

For lunch we went to Opio's house. They had insisted we come which was so nice! We had rice, beans, and goat meat. It was SO good. The beans they cooked with some oil from a tree and it was seriously delicious. The meat was made perfectly and spiced very nicely. Like all Ugandans do with visitors, they made sure we ate plenty, and when we left we were fuller than full.

We visited the rest of the children's homes as well and met there families. It is so sad thinking that these kids have no communication with their parents or siblings. No "I love you", "goodnight", "how are you today", nothing. But when we take them home they are so happy to be around family!

Saturday.

I couldn't think of a better way to spend my Saturday morning than at church talking with my Beloved. Honestly, Church is the only place I can feel at home. The only place I can go to get comfort. When all I can see are my sins, failures, and how I constantly feel I am never doing enough, He is there to hold me and bring me peace. His love is mesmerizing.

After Church we went on bodas to the Congo! I didn't think we would be able to cross the border but we did and although we didn't go that far I still thought it was cool to be there! It was the same, absolutely beautiful! We then just ventured around to different villages and places.

Congo


We stopped at a very small town that I don't know the name of. It had a big beautiful Church and with the parish there is also two primary schools, one secondary school, a convent, a clinic, and the Holy Family Hospital. We walked around the hospital inside and ended up stopping in a room that only had one man in it.

He was an old man sitting up in his bed with his Bible opened, his hands on both sides of it, his head hung low with his eyes closed because he had fallen asleep. A man came in and told us his situation. He has cancer and one of his legs has been amputated above the knee, which he then showed us. The man woke up and we prayed together and then Joel and I left. We went to the Church, met with the Priest, and I got the chance for some silence with my Beloved again.



We journeyed to the market again to experience the craziness, met up with Opio's family and talked with them for a little. Then we left and later ate at a restaurant. I just ate eggs..I wasn't feeling too adventurous with eating anything else.




Sunday.

I woke up at seven and I had no idea what time church started, how many Masses there were going to be, or even if there would be an English Mass. I asked the manager of the Guest House and she just said people can start going at seven...I don't think she understood the question I was trying to ask. No matter, I got ready quickly and started my walk.

As I was arriving so many people were leaving the Church and yet I saw people standing outside the Church and trying to go in. It was packed. A man who was leaving saw the confusion on my face and walked me in all the way to the front to some pews beside the alter. Thankfully I sat next to an English speaking woman who also had a Daily Missal and she made sure I was able to follow along.

*A Daily Missal is a book that can be used everyday, every year, to follow along with Mass and have the Daily readings. Because every Catholic Church around the world has the same readings and prayers everyday no matter what language it is in. So I am able to attend Mass and fully understand and know ever word that is being said, except the Priest's homily, through the entire mass whether it is in Luganda, Alur, or whatever. It is absolutely wonderful!*

It was such a beautiful service! The Church was completely full. Every pew was full, every person was sitting so close together, and even where we kneel had children sitting there. All around the alter and in walking isle were people sitting down. Even right outside the church there were people standing and a speaker so they could hear everything. It was wonderful to see such a poor community so rich with Jesus. The singing was amazing. Every part of it was. I took a video during Mass and I now realize that it might not have been appropriate to do but I just wanted to share a small part of the beauty. 

Receiving the Eucharist with all of these people was also so powerful for me. To share in Christ's love for us with all of these people of a different language and culture was awesome. We are all One in Christ. 

After Church we went to a few of the kid's homes and gave the families some gifts and said goodbye. I took some time to teach Opio's twin sister some simple signs so she could communicate a little with Opio. She really enjoyed it and I know Opio did too.
Alex (in blue) and his deaf friend outside of Alex's house.

We then got bodas and drove to Nebbi and took a taxi to Pakwach which is a town on the Nile. After we checked into our Guest House we went for a walk across the bridge over the Nile and continued down the highway to look for elephants, which we found by the way. Along with Pumbaa and his family of warthogs, gazelle, antelope, lots of giant birds that I don't know the name of, and the sound of hippos. It was amazing, breathe taking, and beautiful. It was like our own free safari.


We had walked quit a long way from Pakwach and it started to rain! I loved it. Joel didn't so when a boda man drove by he hopped on and well, I refused. It was to beautiful and warm to just leave. So I made my journey back in the rain looking at the vast green land, enormous clouds, and the elephants! I love Jesus so much. I said some prayers and just talked to God and thanked Him for His amazing creations and allowing me to see them!

Before I made it back to the bridge Joel came for me and had something great planned. He asked our boda man to take us down to the bank of the Nile where he then asked some local fishermen if they could take us out on their boat! The sun was coming down and it was awesome being on the Nile.


We went home had some dinner and I skyped with my family finally!! I miss them so much. It is starting to get really hard and every time we skype I just have to sit there and cry. 

Monday. 

Well for starters I didn't sleep that night very much at all. I was pretty out of it but I kept waking up with a lot of pain in my stomach and sweating. It is really hot in Pakwach anyways so I don't even know if my sweating was from sickness or just being there. 

When I got up in the morning I felt a little better and immediately got dressed and went down to the Nile again! The men took Joel and I to cross the river this time. The sun had just rose and it was amazing! The water was like glass and you could see the clouds reflecting perfectly in it. We were out there for a while just going around. We went to another place to switch boats with some men and got to see the interesting fish they caught that shocked you. Then they took us to find the hippos!!


We found two hippos and although the only thing we saw was their heads when they came up it was still pretty cool. Their heads are so big! There was a fishermen closer to one that was slapping his paddle on the water for it to come up. That hippo seemed pretty mad when he came up. 

After that we sat for what we were told was going to be 30 minuets but turned into almost three hours of waiting for the bus. TIA. It wasn't helping me at all. I was beginning to feel worse and worse. I hadn't been able to eat or drink anything since I woke up.

The best part of the seven hour bus ride home was right when we left there were a bunch of elephants pretty close to the road that we got to look at. Other than that I had a rather terrible time. I was in so much pain I didn't know what to do. All I wanted was my "mommy." The whole time I fought crying and at some points lost. I believe what I had was food poisoning...at least I hope it was only that. 

When I finally got home to my apartment I just cried like a baby and Vickie came in and took care of me. Great way to end a trip rather than begin it that way!

--

I'm thankful that I was able to accompany those four kids home and to meet there families. Thank you to everyone who supported me and continues to support the children at BDI. Because of your support I was able to buy the bus tickets for the children, Joel, and myself so that they may see their families. Something which is SO very important for them.

Even though it is a poor community in Paidha and life is very hard I am thankful that the people there and myself are able to practice our Christian Faith freely without persecution. Please join in praying for peace in Iraq, the Middle East, and for all those being persecuted because of their faith. May Our Lord give them the strength to hold strong in their faith and walk through this darkness.



God bless.

2 comments:

  1. :) I think you are wonderful. Would you be my Granddaughter?
    Love and Prayers, Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyo I just read your blog obviously and I didn't know you are so good at writing!

    ReplyDelete