Saturday, October 11, 2014

Sweat, Freckles, and Money

I woke up this morning at seven, I thought my house was on fire. It was so hot. I didn't want to work out because I thought I already was.

I was doing push ups on my tile floor, like the uber girly ones where your knees touch the ground. Anyways, it was like a slip-n-slide of sweat in there.

I am thankful for cold showers, although sometimes I wish they were colder. Or in Ugandan English, "more much colder".

I went to buy some samosas and the one I usually go to only had ones from yesterday. I went a bit further to another place and just really got my 'feelings hurt'. I asked the woman if she had samosas (which I could clearly see) and she gave me a very mean look and said no. While all the other people just stared at me. I went back to the other place and bought the ones from yesterday, the sweet lady there gave me an extra one! I came home and nearly cried to Rebecca.


Day four of taking Florence to the hospital begins now..

Florence is having lots of pain in her chest. She had this same problem last year and after they checked her heart many times, they treated her for severe ulcers and she got better.

When I took her the first time that is what they treated her for, well that and typhoid. She continued to have pain, was not able to eat, and vomiting a lot. The doctor said the vomiting was most likely because her eating habits were not good and with the medication he gave her, she HAS to eat well.

She has gone everyday since Wednesday for more injections and tests. Yesterday when we left, Florence got orders to not eat or drink anything after 10pm. The next morning. this morning I mean, she was also not to ingest anything. When I picked her up this morning she told me she drank milk. Shrug.

I blame myself, after all, I am the interpreter here. But seriously, I explained it so many times and I think Vickie did as well.

The doctor was wanting to do a lipid test, but because she drank milk, we have to try again Monday.

*(Complete side note) I'm writing this on the floor of Vickie's kitchen, while she is sleeping on the floor in the doorway of her house. She's all curled up in a ball on a big pillow looking like a cute little kitten. She just now barely woke up and the first thing she says is "can you please go buy some mandazi? I have some coins right there", as she points and then closes her eyes again. Mandazi is this little ball of dough fried in way to much oil. They cost 100UGX each, so about 3 pennies, I think. Sweet.*

Moving on. I went to go buy food for Florence and almost had an anxiety attack, or a 'punch someone in the face attack'. I don't know what every one's problem is with my freckles but it should stop. I hate that area of town, it's way to crowded and busy. Little shops line every street here, and boda men are everywhere, along with so many other people. I am just trying to go get a chapati and some eggs people. I get the most uncomfortable stares, mostly from men. Asking 'what is that' or 'what is wrong with her'. I have had many people reach out and touch me, both forcefully and not, asking what is all over me. "Is there a cure for you". Nope sorry folks there's not, I am stuck being awesome and beautiful foreverrrrrrrrrrr.

Florence is having chest pain and I just want it to stop. In my mind I do not understand how it is from ulcers. After talking with the doctor for a while he says that we need to transfer her to another hospital to talk to the cardiologist there. He said we can take their ambulance. Okay cool.

Ohhh wait. There's a catch. I go to pay for the treatment she got and then the woman tells me I have to pay for the ambulance too. Right of course, how could I forget?! She told me 80,000 shillings. Feeling frustrated I told her I cannot pay for that. She gave me a sort of stupid look. Yes, crazy I know, a Mzungu says she can't pay for something! What are the odds!

After that she then told me it will only be 50,000 shillings. Seriously! If it can be 50,000 shillings then why did you tell me 80,000 in the first place!? I still told her that I can't pay for it, I would figure something else out. Yes, I could have paid for it but there was truly no need. We could figure out a 'more much' cheaper mean of transportation. Also putting into consideration the amount I (and by "I", I mean all of the wonderful people who's money I try to prayerfully use) have already spent on her medication and tests, there is no need to spend more than what is absolutely necessary.

I called teacher Ivan, who also works closely with me and makes my helping here easier and more effective, to come and help with everything. I am so glad he came. When he got there he needed 1,000 shillings for the boda guy. I open my wallet and he exclaims "ohhh, your pocket is empty!", in his upbeat silly voice. Yuhp, just about. Haha.

Ivan is an absolute wonderful man. He bring so much joy to every crazy situation, or normal situation (not normal is a thing here). He is so funny and sweet. Kind of like a big chocolate teddy bear, maybe not 'big', he is rather short. But I am also a giant.

Turns out going to the cardiologist was unnecessary. Ivan took care of everything. Because I was not here last time I didn't know a lot about her previous hospital visits, or even that there were papers for it. Turns out that Florence had all the documents and even a chest x-ray at her home. We went and got that and talked with the doctor! Finally more information that solved many problems!

They, Ivan and the doctor, both agree that the problem is severe ulcers. These, I guess, can cause pain almost anywhere on you body. They did another blood test for, I really don't know. We will get the results on Monday when we come back for the lipids test. Which I pray we will be able to do this time.

There you have it. Please pray that Florence gets better! And a big thank you to all of my sponsors and donors, without you her treatment (and continual treatment) would most likely not been able to happen.

God is good, all the time.






No comments:

Post a Comment