Friday, May 20, 2016

First few days in Paidha..

It's 8:20 pm and the party has just begun.. Loud Ugandan music playing and sounds of laughter outside. For me - I'm about to shut down.

After a long day of travel Wednesday, my friend Innocent and I finally arrived in Paidha.

The past two days have been a time of learning and I know that will only continue! Innocent has been taking me all around town introducing me to people and helping me get to know the place.

Last time I was here, in 2014, it was more of absolute culture shock. Struck by everything from the poverty, the way of life, to the joy found in Christ. My childish perspective and thoughts from the first time have somehow changed.

It's as beautiful as I remember it. Amazing rolling hills, vibrant green everything, goats, farming, gardens, bright colorful flowers, red dirt, and of course the big Our Lady of Assumption Church. Still ever thankful for the guidance of the Holy Spirit through everything.

Yesterday afternoon I went for prayer at the Church. Asking God what to do for the rest of the day... as I finished and sat back in the pew I heard the creaking of a door, some childish laughter, and whispers of "white lady" in Alur. I turned to see some cute faces starring at me. (Hard to go unnoticed).

"Wow God, that was fast."

Ended up singing with many children! We began to learn a song from one of the older girls. She sang - we repeated. Over and over until we got it. Then it was time to add the dance moves...I didn't participate in that..but it was great to watch. :) time went on with this...Eventually I joined in with some of the kids in dancing, they are good teachers!

One of the kids asked for a picture..then another...then a video. Soon the kids were becoming less shy and dancing for the camera. After each turn they would watch their video and laugh! So many silly faces and funny dance moves..

*Note: I will not take a picture or video without permission. I think that's important.*

First thing this morning I went to Mass. Ohh my, my heart... It was absolutely beautiful and everyone was so wonderfully reverent. Nothing like the True Presence and people recognizing the True Presence.

Also this morning I visited a former student of BDI, Jennifer, and it was lovely. I love sign language. I love Jennifer. Annnnd I love sign language. This is how part of that went: Innocent translated between Alur and English with Jennifer's aunt and I while I interpreted any English I heard for Jennifer. It was really great. :D

This afternoon I went to the Church for prayer again- but it wasn't open. So I sat outside reading for a while.. Along came a sweet young girl who's name I'll say is A. I quickly realized A had some mental disabilities.. She walked very slowly, picked up some rubbish, and sat near me. She couldn't give a smile and her dress left her a bit exposed. Gently I tried to communicate with her and fixed her dress. Finally a kid came along who knew English well so he could tell her what was needed.

A, along with some other street kids, ended up eating mangos and mandezi outside of the Church. A still seemed down and lost the whole time. She took some extra food and left. The rest of the kids and I stayed for hours and played. Many more came, soon about 20. They asked me many questions and I asked them many more. We made silly faces, danced, laughed, and I even taught them a few signs! They loved it. I love how much they enjoyed learning the signs. Now there's a bunch of hearing kids signing "I love you, mango, turtle" and others.

Later it was time to practice dancing and singing so I watched as they did so. It's was AWESOME! ahhh. I have some videos I will get out as soon as I have the Internet do so. Truly, they are wonderful.

There is still so much I want to talk about. It's hard to get everything that has happened in the past two days out.

I am looking forward to getting to know the children and community better everyday. I have so much to learn: the language, the culture, deeper trust in God, and the best way(s) to help and serve.

Not my way but theirs... not their way but HIS.

Thank you all for the donations...not only are you feeding me but now beginning to feed the children in Paidha. Thank you also for the prayers, they are the most needed.



Innocent 
                     

1 comment: