Sunday, May 22, 2016

Sunday.

I'd like to attempt to take you through today, in as much detail as these little freckled hands will allow..

I woke up just before six and stayed in my bed for about two hours texting my family and some friends in the states before they went to bed. I usually walk for the 6:30 Mass every morning but as it is Sunday there is an English service that starts at nine and I didn't have anything to do before then! Along with Alur, I am learning many, many things everyday. Its the best kind of tired because I'm learning and soaking in a completely different culture. Thanks be to God.

Walking up to the Church on a Sunday (I remember from when I was here in 2014) is kind of intimidating. The Church is always packed so full of people that there are many who have to stand outside and listen. Along with those people, there are many others waiting for the next service and many children playing on the soccer fields in front. It makes me nervous because many people (especially children) just stare at me the whole walk up. Btw, there's only one other white lady in Paidha, that I know of anyways. She's from Australia.



Mass was wonderful. So so wonderful. A wedding took place during the service which for me, was great to experience! It was a long, beautiful, charismatic, and reverent service. Fr. Opio, the Parish Priest and general vicor for the diocese, is such a wonderful Priest. He radiates true joy for Christ and His people, and best of all, he shows true deep reverence for the Eucharist and all that takes place during Mass. I'm so exceedingly greatful to God for placing me under the guidance of him as well as Fr. Emmanual. Wise and beautiful men.

As the service was ending I was called up and welcomed, on behalf of Bishop Wanok, to Paidha and to the Parish. I then nervously and briefly introduced myself to the people. After that Fr. Emmanual spoke in Alur and explained our first meeting two years ago, my previous activities in Uganda, in brief why I'm here, etc. I felt very welcomed, more part of the community, and I met many people after!

Fr. Emmanual and I then went and had a small breakfast and talked for a long time. He shared with me many things about his life, family, priesthood, and Paidha. Im sitting there sniffling as he finishes sharing about the deaths of his parents, the details of God's workings, him celebrating Mass after..ahhhh there's too much..he asks me if I'm catching a cold. Hah, "No Father, I'm crying."

Everything he shared was painfully beautiful.

We continued to talk more and he continued to introduce me to people as we sat outside. Then we went inside and had lunch with Fr. Opio, Fr. Joseph, and the seminarian who's name I forgot..

Food: fish (best I've ever had), cooked banana eaten with onions and tomatoes, sweet potato, greens, and some brown sticky stuff made from dried casava and something else...I don't know but it's good.

*One of my favorite things in the world is talking with Priests and seminarians. I learn so much..they are wise and striving for holiness. They give up having families for the sake of serving the Church and it's many, many people. Wonderful. Without them I couldn't receive the Body and Blood of Christ everyday along with many other things.

After a while longer of chatting with Fr. Emmanual we left with Fr. Opio to join the wedding reception. What an experience! It lasted for hours. There was wonderful dancing and singing from a Church of Uganda choir, the children from the school by the Catholic Church, and best of all was the traditional dance!



Wedding food: the same brown sticky stuff, rice, potatoes, all sorts of different meat, fish, beans, cabbage with tomatoes and onions, annnnnd I think that was it. First we washed our hands. Then we chose some food. Then we ate with our hands. Whatever meat I had was yummy.. I don't know if it was monkey or goat..but I liked it. Hahaha okay, it for sure wasn't monkey. There is a tribe near that eats monkey though. When I go to Congo I'll be sure to try it.



Gift giving at the wedding was a very long and joyful procession. So many things were given: money, goats, dishes, firewood, baskets, things for the house, many wrapped up presents, mattresses, and even two necklaces made out of white ants (the bride made sure I saw them).

I am still so thankful I was asked to attend. Bishop Wanok requested I get to know the place and people. Today was filled with the people.

I am being fed by the Church and by the locals. I'm staying in a safe guest house not far from Church and Fr. Emmanual is helping me look for a more permanent house with less rent. The convent may even be an option!! I'm learning where shops are, where friends live, and how to travel around to other towns alone. I'm hanging out with deaf children I know from BDI and meeting new ones! I'm meeting many other children everyday and trying to remember their names. I'm so far failing at the language - but I'm trying! I have been seeing many difficult things and hearing many painful stories..all these kept in my heart and taken to prayer as God unfolds His will. I've been able to pray and go to Mass everyday. God has been carrying me and I know will continue to.

Saturday was a huge day for me mentally. Fr. Emmanual and I discussed many things along the lines of projects and ways to help. Thanks be to God, again and again, for putting me under his guidance. He showed me the extra land the Church has as well.. It's beautiful and right behind the Church!!

So many things are in my heart, my mind, and my prayers. Patience has never been easy for me but I know that all things must be done in God's timing and on the right soil, or else anything I try to grow will just be eaten by the birds.

Jesus, I trust in You.

Tomorrow morning Fr. Emmanual, Fr. Opio, and I will drive to Nebbi to have a meeting with the Bishop. I'm excited and nervous....so thankful to be working with the Church!

It's 8:20 pm again..glad to be done writing instead of just beginning. Paidha's alive for sure. I hear Ugandan music, children screaming and laughing, bodas driving by fast, shuffling flip flops outside my door, and when I hear the buzz of a mosquito I quickly catch that sucker and kill it.

Fun fact: there had been a big dead spider chillin in the corner of my room but then my friendly lizard ate him.

Thank you for the prayers and support!

Fr. Opio leading a song of thanks to God at the end of the reception. 



1 comment: