Thursday, June 12, 2014

Where do I begin?

This whole time I've been here I have not know what to write, where would I even start?

There is just SO much that I am learning and trying to understand. Absolutely everything is different!! A 'turtle' messaged me on Facebook asking me some questions and it took me no time to answer them, word just kept flowing and flowing. Then it hit me that this is it, this is what I need to write about.

There is a lot of frustrations that I have been experiencing in my first week. The language barrier is the most frustrating of all. But I know like all things this too shall pass and I will be comfortable and love it here!


The kids are SO joyful and precious! There are currently 52 that attend BDI and 20 of them come to school in the morning and then go home after school, the rest stay there to live. These 52 kids are packed into a very small school with small classrooms and bedrooms. Two classes are packed into one classroom, there is no such thing as "my space".


There is one girls room and one boys room. These rooms are small. My bedroom in my apartment is not that big, I couldn't imagine having to fit 17 people in here. That's how it is for these kids. They have 6 beds (tiny beds) all stacked up that these 17 boys share, some of them have to sleep on the cement floor. It the same in the girls room. Close your eyes and picture that.

Every single day they eat the same thing, morning, afternoon, and night. These are growing kids here with very poor nutrition. In the morning its porridge, for lunch its pasho and beans, and for supper its pasho and beans again. That is all they can afford and sometimes they can't afford anything and the kids go hungry.

Yet they are so joyful and filled with Jesus. All they ever want to do is hold our hand and hug us, seriously, they fight over it sometimes. :)

Their airplane drawings!

There is an 18 year old Deaf girl that has recently started coming to school here. She has never had any education or learning, and she has NEVER had a language. This hit me in the face like a ton of bricks. Even writing this I can't stop crying. To know that she has gone 18 years, her whole life, with no one to talk to, no one to share anything with, no one to tell her 'I love you and Jesus loves you even more'. Can you imagine? I can't. It pains me to think of someone going that long without ever knowing the Gospel, never reading Christ's words, learning about His death on the Cross for us. Then I think how many of us have the opportunity to learn and read His words but choose not to!
But she knows love, I know she does. I see her so happy and smiling everyday. She comes and hugs me and always smiles when I look at her. And she is learning a lot, she pays such close attention, soaks up everything she can, and tries her hardest even if it takes a long time.




Father, strengthen me so I may do Your work and follow Your Will always and never my own. Make me love like Jesus.



Praying before lunch!

Praying after school!

                       Every Wednesday they have a big debate. This week it was village live vs. town life.


4 comments:

  1. Rannah, your testimony brings me to tears! I new when you were keeping my grand babies that you were a unique individual that loved the Lord and wasn't shy about sharing it. Then you said you were going to Africa, to work in thus school for the deaf and I thought, OK she really has a calling. Reading your blog I can just feel the grace, wisdom and love of God flowing from you. You will learn so much through this as well as the children that have the privilege of coming in contact with you. May God keep watch and bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SO much for sharing!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O most holy Heart of Jesus, Fountain of Every Blessing. Keep Rannah, Joel and all those at BDI humble, patient, pure and wholly obedient to your will. Protect them in the midst of danger, comfort them in times of need. Give them health of body, assistance in their temporal needs. Send upon those children desire to learn and willingness to respond to your Word so that we may all share together everlasting life .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing, Rannah! You hang in there, sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete