Friday, September 2, 2016

Back in Uganda

I love that I always seem to be surrounded by priests and religious. It is comforting and beautiful. There's always a Mass to go to and plenty of great discussions about Jesus. 

I arrived in Uganda two weeks ago and spent that first week in Kampala at the Bishop McCauley house. It was so great to talk to my spiritual director there and get some guidance. Although I had planned on going straight to Paidha the day after I landed, God had other plans. 

I couldn't be more thankful for a week of working with BDI to find Jonathan and bring him back to school. God's timing is always the best. So unexpected, yet perfect. Sweet Jonathan returned to BDI last Saturday. Seeing him happy at school filled me with so much delight and thankfulness to God. 


He arrived wearing a t-shirt and shorts, nothing else. He also had a rash all over his body. The head teacher of BDI and I went shopping that day! We got him all of his basic necessities as well as medicines for the rash. It was beautiful to see the absolute joy and delight he was filled with when we gave him all of his things. His joy is surly contagious - pure and beautiful. 

We also found out that he was born in 1999. That makes him now 16 or 17, which is so crazy! He is much bigger now..every part of him. I am so thankful to everyone who has been praying for him and helping to find him and bring him back to the school. It brings me so much peace knowing he is safe and in a very loving environment. 

I spent some days at the Deaf school teaching some of the children how to play chess. I love watching their faces as they are catching on to things! It is so great being able to visit the Deaf school whenever I am in Kampala. Receiving love and giving love to these kids, learning more about each one, and talking about Jesus is always so wonderful. Sign language definitely makes scripture stories more vibrant and seeming alive. 
          

One evening we had to walk for water. The tank didn't have enough water in it - perhaps it needs to rain! It was crazy though. For them, walking for water is normal. Walking in the dark with no parents is also normal. Davis, one of the older kids, is so good about making sure everyone is together and safe - especially when crossing the busy street. As we were walking back it was dark and the "mzungu, babi come here" comments were increasing. I was in mother mode and just wanted to make sure all the kids got back safely. At the same time trying to ignore every comment but keep watch for any weird guys approach. I was so happy and thankful when we got back to school! 






























I love Uganda and the typical TIA way of doing things. Monday morning I took a boda 40 minuets away form where I was staying to meet Joel and get a few things that I had left when I went to America. That man, talk about wonderful. I just need him in my pocket for the times when cultural understanding is difficult, when I am sad, or when I need someone to pray over me. It was SO wonderful to hear all of his advice and prayers. We rejoiced as we talked about Jonathan's return. God is so good. He is really doing wonderful things through him, and through many, for the children of BDI. I pray that their new school gets finished soon and that the lives of the Deaf children there continue to prosper and that they grow closer to Jesus always. Pray with me?

Anyways, I rushed back to the Bishop McCauley house to get all five of my heavy bags together and put them on bodas. That was fun. The bus leaves at noon and I think we had about 15 minuets to get to the bus park. So off went, me on one boda and my luggage on two others. Traffic was crazy busy and I didn't know if we would make it. In God's goodness and love we arrived at the park with time to load on. I was the last to get on the bus but it all worked out.

My last bus ride experience had me a little "shook up" so I really prayed hard that everything would go okay this time. I didn't write about it because I wanted to tell my mom in person about how fine everything was. But the last time I rode with Vickie, friend from DK, the bus broke down two times for many hours. We arrived in Paidha at two in the morning with no bodas to take us to the church. Long story short we got attacked. But God was ever present and sent two men who heard me screaming to come and save us. No scrapes, bruises, or stolen things - God is gracious and kind.

Naturally, the bus on Monday broke down at one point. I just started laughing. Black smoke coming out and all the men got off to go look at the problem. I laughed and laughed because what else do you do? Msgr. Opio had been calling me periodically through the trip to make sure everything was okay though. So he knew we were broke down and where I was in case something else happened.






























I arrived in Paidha somewhere around 9 pm. I was SO happy to see one of the the cooks, a seminarian, and two priests waiting for me there. It made for a super easy and safe transition. Warm welcoming too. I think Msgr. Opio gets more precious every day!

These few days in Paidha have been great - normal feeling. Msgr. Opio was so overjoyed and grateful for the gifts he received from my spiritual director in Texas. I was able to bring many vestments, chalices, and patens. Just an absolute wonderful gift! I also gave Msgr. Opio and Fr. Joseph their (late) fathers day gifts. A rosary for each along with a notebook with prayer intentions and notes of encouragement from many friends back home who have been praying for each of them. They send their thanks and blessings to all of those who have been praying for them. Truly a dear and special gift.

I was so happy to finally see my good friend Obedi/Christine! I hated that I had no way of calling her when I was in the States. I think everyone else was happy for our reunion as well - we are two very energized and stubborn girls. The mix of us is wonderful, I think. We walk the streets and get the funniest comments. Obedi, really, makes everything better. I can never get away from being a shock to people as I walk around. "Heyyy, American height" "Obedi, why are you walking with my girl?" Most of the time it is light and fun humor. Something I am still trying to get used to here is the joking and humor between the people of Paidha. To me, some of it could seem offensive or aggressive (maybe too "ohh babi"). Just by listening to the way Obedi and others, even strangers, relate to one another is really interesting. You have to learn to be witty and sarcastic right back.... It's like an acceptance thing if you do. When you are able to joke with others it brings you closer to them - in a friendship/community way.


























I still have so much to learn. I am happy though, that my Alur is sticking with me. I am always listening and learning so many things. I have a long way to go - well, we should forever be learning. But to be able to get further into the community, even at a basic level, still takes a lot. I learn a whole lot from the children. Most refuse to speak English, even though they know it well, because they are shy to speak it in front of me or because they are so stubborn and want to be ridiculous and say silly things without me knowing. I am thankful for always having some sweet girls around me to help me pick up on the conversation.

Blessings



No comments:

Post a Comment