Monday, September 12, 2016

Nyapea


























Obedi and I took a boda to Nyapea and then walked through village for a while to reach her garden.
This was the second time she has taken me there. I really love it!

We went to dig in her garden and get ready for planting beans, potatoes, and casava.

As we were walking to her garden we stopped at some random hut where a women was cooking some local alcohol. Obedi insisted I try it, so I did. It was horrible. SO BAD. It was clear, hot, and very strong. I took a tiny sip and thought I would puke. Obedi happily drank the rest (not a lot). I felt it in my head and my stomach the rest of the day.

We arrived at her garden and first sat and watched as one of the men working there burnt some of the dead bush/tree/plant things (Obedi didn't know the name). There were a couple of monkeys running around and hanging in the trees. When the fire started they ran away!

It is really peaceful and quiet out there. Her garden is on a big slope with a creek at the bottom. Far off in every direction there is more gardens and huts, or just rolling hills of green beauty.



























When the burning was finished on one side I went there to dig while Obedi went to the opposite side to gather more of the dead bush tree things to burn. There was a random onlooker who just could not believe that a white person could dig.

It is hard to dig. The ground was covered black with ash and under all of that was deep roots and big rocks. Obedi didn't let me dig long in fear of me getting too tired. If you know me well enough you'd know how absolutely weak my arms and shoulders are. I tried my best as I really wanted to help Obedi, but I was happy when she made me stop. I joined her in moving these big things (I really wish I knew what their name is) into a pile to burn.







We didn't stay for to long. The work we needed to do was finished and the rest of the digging was to be done by two men who she paid to work there. We walked the far ways up the hill and through the bush to reach her aunt's home.

Before we reached we ran into Obedi's cousin who was picking coffee beans. He was a very kind and funny man.


He insisted that Obedi take a picture of me so that "my family can see what I did today."


Food is important here. Food and people - relationship, guests, gifts, and respect. 

"Love, generosity, and the joy of opening the doors of one's home to neighbors or to strangers always tend to enlarge our hearts; "our heart is wide", Saint Paul said to the Corinthians (2 Cor 6:11)." - Robert Cardinal Sarah

Obedi's brother, Brian, met us and brought us milk and biscuits. So we gathered in the hut and shared those. 

Brian said and did many funny things that I just didn't understand. I wasn't sure the whole time what was more "cultural" and what was just silly.. I'm not even sure how to explain them here. He seems to be a good man but he is very stubborn. *The word stubborn here, in Paidha, is used both the same way American's use it and also differently. It covers a rang of behaviors of people, animals, and items. Someone who jokes a lot and is very funny is considered stubborn. Someone who beats his wife is stubborn. The door that wont open is stubborn. Someone who takes too much alcohol is stubborn. The chicken you can't pluck easily is stubborn.* 

Brian - is stubborn in a different way that people say Obedi and I are stubborn. Uhm, I'll just leave that there.  

All was well though! 

After eating some of the biscuits and milk, Obedi's aunt brought us water and pumpkin. We all shared that and before the food was gone I had to stop eating because I was so full. But did the food stop there? Noooo.



























Obedi then left Brian and I in the hut and went to the kitchen (another hut pictured below) to cook for us. I don't know why. I asked her and all she said was "I have to cook for you, I just have to." I told her how not hungry I was but she insisted.

I sat with Brian in the hut for an awkward almost hour. Picking thorns off of my skirt, talking about America, talking about how he wants to treat his future wife, he told me about his children, school, land, gardening, etc.

Obedi came back with kwen, beans, and eggs. Again we washed our hands and began to share the food. I tried to eat as much as I could but I really just couldn't eat anymore!




























We hung out with some kids outside for a little bit after. It mostly consisted of me making funny faces and doing random things to make them laugh. Some of the younger kids, though, cried when they saw me and ran away.

This baby though, for whatever reason, didn't fear me.



Being out there in the village again with Obedi's family, friends, and neighboring people, bring a lot of things to my mind and to my heart. 

Things I haven't yet learned how to write about. Only to be kept in my heart and lifted up in prayer to God, as Fr. Emmanuel tells me. 



























Obedi, Brian, and I ventured back to the town of Nyapea. It was walking and laughing mixed with sudden bursts of running from Obedi and I as Brian tried to keep up.





























When we were entering the town Obedi told me "don't say anything." Uhm, okay?

We continued walking and I remembered why.. It was a large amount of obnoxious and stubborn men calling out "hey baby", "can I have your number", etc. I laughed inside and kept silent. Though, at times it can be very annoying and tiresome to hear.

We eventually got a boda back to Paidha so as not to arrive back late in the evening.

And that is the end of that story.

God bless


No comments:

Post a Comment