Friday, October 7, 2016

FUTURE DEAF SCHOOL

I am overjoyed and still in awe of God's providence...

Last week I went to the book store in Nebbi to pick up some Alur school books (I'm really trying to learn this language). One thing led to another and I found myself in the Bishops office being asked to stay the rest of the day. 

After lunch we went back to his office and discussed books, deafness, education, and the hope for a future deaf school. God did so much in a couple of hours.. Long story short, the Bishop called two men, Dennis and Jimmy, and set up a meeting for us on Friday. Jimmy teaches at a Primary school and interprets Mass for the deaf every Sunday at the Cathedral. Dennis has a business making school uniforms and has been doing his best to "mobilize" the deaf children/community and their families. The Bishop wanted us to meet and hopefully work together for the deaf..

And then a religious Sister walks in. She immediately, and seemingly out of no where, starts talking about the two deaf children under her ministries care that she is taking to a primary school in Arua. I introduced myself and told her a little of why I'm here. She continued talking about the need for a deaf school in our diocese and how she desires to be teaching at a deaf school. She is currently finishing her sign language training in Kampala. 

Ohh my, it gets better..

The Bishop started telling both of us about the recently vacant Emmanuel Center in Nyapea (not too far from Paidha). It was supposed to be used as a Catechist training center but they are instead training in another town about an hour away. The Bishop offered it to a new Congregation of Sisters but they have no need for it. 

AND RIGHT THERE HE PLACED IT IN MY HANDS TO BECOME A DEAF BOARDING SCHOOL. 

--

Last Friday I had a meeting, almost the whole day, with Jimmy and Dennis. It went exceptionally well. And while Jimmy is currently satisfied with the teaching job he has, he is more than willing to help set up a school for the Deaf. Dennis, however, is ready to teach! And I got a call the next day from Dennis telling me he has found another man who wants to teach.

Tuesday I went and visited the Emmanuel Center and...well, it is better than I expected or could have hoped for! 

I am in shock and I cannot wait for it to be filled with deaf students. I hope and pray that everything will be ready by the beginning of first term in February. 

There are so many things that have to be done before then: paper work, organization, renovation and making it more "deaf friendly", please pray for me and all who will be involved! May God grant us the means and ability for making this school come alive. It's overwhelming and crazy, yet so perfectly His. 

All praise and thanks be to Jesus Christ! 


Dormitories 

One of four grass huts

Garden area, latrine in the back

Classroom hall and teachers rooms

Animal pen


























Kitchen, store room (behind)

No comments:

Post a Comment